1.03.2010

Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt

I'm about 10 posts behind when it comes to writing about Christmas and New Years. Some of these posts are going to be pretty short, so I may post more than one per day. Let's get started...






















While I was in Fort Wayne I wanted to make some elaborate foods, in celebration of what seemed like a huge kitchen at the time.




















When I saw this recipe for sea salt truffles on Pioneer Woman, I knew I wanted to make them. It's part of my recent obsession with sea salt.




















Nothing says Christmas like chocolate soup.





















Except for melted chocolate and sweetened condensed milk.






















The doggies came by to see what was up.

















I rolled them into little balls for easy dipping.


















Then I melted some milk chocolate. Dipping them in more dark chocolate would probably be too intense, though it's ultimately a matter of personal preference.

















Dad and Molly came to watch the final stages.


















Before they hardened, I sprinkled each with a little sea salt. The combination was really wonderful.


















John said they were a little too intense for him, but I thought they were perfect. My mom - another diehard chocolate fan - probably could have used even more dark chocolate. They take a little time, but the steps are easy, and the results are pretty!

Chocolate Truffles with Sea Salt
from Pioneer Woman

Ingredients
  • 8 ounces, weight (up To 9 Oz.) Good Semisweet Chocolate
  • 8 ounces, weight (up To 9 Oz.) Good Bittersweet Chocolate
  • 1 can (14 Oz) Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
  • 8 ounces, weight Meltable Milk Chocolate
  • Sea Salt
Preparation Instructions

Heat dark chocolates and condensed milk in a double boiler over medium low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir—mixture will have a slight marshmallow texture. Stir in vanilla.

Remove from heat, cover and refrigerate for two hours.

Once chilled, roll in balls, then roll in melted milk chocolate coating. Sprinkle with sea salt or other fine, coarse sprinkles.

2 comments:

  1. I have an equal relationship with sea salt, although I'll bet you use it a lot more in baking and cooking and the like.

    I just kind of like to hold it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I kind of use it all the time. But I like it as a topping. It looks nice!

    ReplyDelete