7.28.2010

"John's-out-of-town" Brunch

I've been a little "off" blogging recently. The biggest reason is that there isn't much to tell. Here's what our lives are like:

- Sleep
- Go running
- Read (both for research and for fun)
- Watch ______ (lately, Freaks and Geeks).
- Maybe cook something for dinner.

It's that last one that's affecting the blog the most, I think. We go to interesting places from time to time, but if we're not making dinner, I feel less drive to tell you about what we ate.

Last week, we made something that turned out really well, but that had flavors I didn't like at all. This is completely a personal thing - I'm not really a big fan of parsley, except in some Mediterranean food. We made these stuffed tomatoes, and I think that for the right person, they'd be the perfect food.






















Then John went out of town last weekend. To keep busy, I invited people over for brunch.




























I'll post one of the recipes separately, but here's a summary of what we had.
A quiche with spinach, feta, ham, and mushrooms. It's my favorite, go-to quiche recipe.























Roasted potatoes. There's no real recipe here, but here's what happened:

  • Cut enough red potatoes for three people (I made extra and John and I ate them for dinner), slicing them into halves, then thirds. Mince two cloves of garlic.
  • Toss potatoes and garlic with salt, pepper, and olive oil, and spread on a foil-lined baking sheet.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F. for 30-40 minutes, depending on your oven's speed, and on the number of potatoes.

















It's simple, but really delicious.
I also made a no-bake cheese cake, that you can read about here. It was cool and light, and a great summer dessert.























John and I ate a lot of this food as leftovers when he got back into town, which was part of my plan all along. It was also nice to see Gillian and Anthony, two music grad students from Western who were able to come for brunch. I don't have pictures to show you of the things they brought, but Gillian made delicious raspberry muffins (that tasted a lot like scones...yum) and Anthony brought, among other things, two medium sized eggplants. I'll show you what I did with them in a little bit.



So the blogging may be sporadic for now, but I'll usually have more to say when I post.

No comments:

Post a Comment