9.09.2010

Pumpkin Muffins

This week the smell of fall really got to me and the muffin kick continued. I decided to use the one can of pumpkin puree that I didn't use last year to make some pumpkin muffins.

This recipe was a little harder to find and tweak than I expected, but I was able to come up with something that I liked. I'll note my edits below.
These muffins were fairly spicy and flavorful. Next time I might halve the recipe, since these little guys are rich and moist, and I'm afraid they'll get moldy before they were eaten. I might also adjust the allspice, since it's pretty strong and sometimes a little bitter. But all in all, these muffins are great when spread with almond butter and they made our apartment smell like Thanksgiving.

Note that I made it past September 5th before making a pumpkin baked good this year.





















Pumpkin Spice Muffins
adapted from All Recipes

  • 2 cups canned pumpkin
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup wheat flour
  • 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 1 tsp agave nectar
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cloves
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 3 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups or line with paper muffin liners.

2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and salt. In a separate bowl, beat together 2 cups pumpkin puree, vegetable oil and eggs. Stir pumpkin mixture into flour mixture until smooth. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.

3. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean.

As I type this, I'm working on an experiment with the leftover pumpkin from the can I opened to make these muffins. If it works, it will be pumpkin butter. I'll let you know what happens.

2 comments:

  1. This is the time for pumpkin flavored things.

    I love Fall, and I'm really pissed that there's no Starbucks within a 25-mile radius of my town, so I can't get a pumpkin spice latte to celebrate.

    Damn hippies...

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Starbucks? Man, you DO live in the boonies.

    The pumpkin spice latte is such a fall staple.

    ReplyDelete